I recently discovered Lizzo's music. I kept seeing people mention her in feeling good and empowered.
Her music is not going to be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. If you don't like swear words, then her music probably isn't for you. But some of her messages and the feelings that they invoke are.
While feeling good and jammin to one of her songs in my kitchen today, I had my hands full while scrubbing a dish and couldn't stop YouTube from playing the next video. It was Lizzo at a concert in Glastonbury giving a speech. It had my full attention when she started to say this:
After keeping my tears at bay and finishing up in the kitchen, I went upstairs in my bathroom, turned on the light and shut the door. I looked at the sink for a bit trying to find the courage to do what Lizzo told me to do in that video. For a second, I almost couldn't, but then I snapped my eyes up and into the mirror and met my own shaky gaze.
I took a good long look at myself. My hair was a little frizzy and I had some parts sticking out. I have a scab underneath my right eyebrow from being impatient and popping a pimple early. My face is a little oily like it always is around this time of day. I could see my pooch belly and love handles wrapped in my shirt. There was a pimple starting to emerge on my right cheek.
I took this all in, and smiled as I remembered what I needed to tell myself. I looked in my eyes and said,
It was like Lizzo said, it was like medicine. I could feel the little presence in my mind that likes to remind me every now and then that I'm nothing special just dissipate. The love and self acceptance was good and overwhelming and gosh, it felt so good.
Were all gonna have good days. Were all gonna have bad days. But on both of those days, make sure you take your medicine. Even if you need to take it a few times a day. Ain't nothin wrong with that.
And then make sure you tell someone else the same thing. Make sure they're taking their medicine too.
I love you.
You are Beautiful.
And You can do anything.
Her music is not going to be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. If you don't like swear words, then her music probably isn't for you. But some of her messages and the feelings that they invoke are.
While feeling good and jammin to one of her songs in my kitchen today, I had my hands full while scrubbing a dish and couldn't stop YouTube from playing the next video. It was Lizzo at a concert in Glastonbury giving a speech. It had my full attention when she started to say this:
I want you to know that I love you very much and that I'm very proud of you. I want you to know that if you can love me, you can love your... self. And if you don't mind, I'd like to do a little mantra with you. I want you to go home tonight and look in the mirror and say, "I love you, you are beautiful, and you can do anything." I really want you to say that because I believe we can save the world if we save ourselves first. It starts with you... And you all can change the world. So right now, I want you to say to me, "I love you, you are beautiful, and you can do anything." And I want you to look to the person next to you and say, "I love you, you are beautiful, and you can do anything." And now I want you to look at me because I've been depressed lately... and I need it. Say, "I love you Lizzo. You are beautiful girl. And you can do anything... ." That goes for you streaming at home. I want you to say that to yourself and look in the mirror and say that... to your self. I promise you it works. Do it on your good days, but especially do it on your bad days, cause that s*** is like medicine man.It stopped me in my tracks. When she told me to do that, I started to tear up. When was the last time I told myself these things? When was the last time I believed them?
After keeping my tears at bay and finishing up in the kitchen, I went upstairs in my bathroom, turned on the light and shut the door. I looked at the sink for a bit trying to find the courage to do what Lizzo told me to do in that video. For a second, I almost couldn't, but then I snapped my eyes up and into the mirror and met my own shaky gaze.
I took a good long look at myself. My hair was a little frizzy and I had some parts sticking out. I have a scab underneath my right eyebrow from being impatient and popping a pimple early. My face is a little oily like it always is around this time of day. I could see my pooch belly and love handles wrapped in my shirt. There was a pimple starting to emerge on my right cheek.
I took this all in, and smiled as I remembered what I needed to tell myself. I looked in my eyes and said,
"I love you."My eyes started tearing up immediately. So I said it again
"I love you."More tears. I could feel it. I could feel the love for myself deep in my bones. I could feel it as I looked at myself.
"I love you, you are beautiful. You are beautiful Eb."For once in a long time, I felt it. I felt beautiful and I knew it. I knew it with every fiber of my being.
"I love you, you are beautiful. You are smart, you are caring, you are sweet, you are loving, you are creative, you are funny, you are strong and you are brave. And you girlfriend, can do anything. You can do it."
It was like Lizzo said, it was like medicine. I could feel the little presence in my mind that likes to remind me every now and then that I'm nothing special just dissipate. The love and self acceptance was good and overwhelming and gosh, it felt so good.
Were all gonna have good days. Were all gonna have bad days. But on both of those days, make sure you take your medicine. Even if you need to take it a few times a day. Ain't nothin wrong with that.
"I love you. You are beautiful. And you can do anything."Tell it to yourself. Then do it again, and again, until you whole heartedly believe and know these truths. It may take you hours, days or weeks to feel and know it. You may feel it right away. It doesn't matter how quick, all that matters is that you know and feel it.
And then make sure you tell someone else the same thing. Make sure they're taking their medicine too.
I love you.
You are Beautiful.
And You can do anything.
Comments
Post a Comment